For those who are at all nervous or worried about getting “teacher block” on their tours of ArtPrize, here’s the next phase of our ArtPrize for Kids: Language Connections Guide for 2012. Thanks again to our friends at grkids.com for the work done on creating the Tour!
Here are picks from Stop #4 of the 2012 Kids’ ArtPrize Tour . For each, we’ve added some language prompts for building those neural pathways for all ages. Feel free to comment with your responses, a child’s response or additional questions – and ENJOY!
65 Front St. NW Grand Rapids, MI 49504
Some overall questions for this stop:
- How are the exhibits at this stop alike?
- How are the exhibits at this stop different?
- Focus on a colors: what colors do you see at this stop?
- How is this stop alike or different from the stops we’ve already visited?
- What other red animals have we already seen? Were they all made of metal?
- Have we seen any other sculptures made of sticks or metal?
- This piece is a mobile. What does that mean?
- Is it moving at all? How would you describe that movement?
- Have you ever heard of the fish a sturgeon before? Where do they usually live?
- How many other pieces have we seen on the tour that were red? Were they the same red?
- How can we describe this fish? What shape is it? What color? How many ribs does it have?
- Does it remind you of any stories or other fish things you know?
- Do you think this would look the same if it was hung inside?
- How many horses do you see?
- What kind of horses do you think they are?
- Why do you think the artist wanted them in the river?
- Would you want to ride one of those horses? Why or why not?
- Where would see horses like that in real life?
- Do they remind you of any stories you know?
Follow-up activities could include looking up information on horses or sturgeon; writing a story; describing one of the pieces to someone who wasn’t there with you; or just a “Hey, what do you remember about that sturgeon we saw at ArtPrize?”
Next: Riverfront Plaza Building, Stop #5 on the 2012 Kids’ ArtPrize Tour