Here’s the next phase of our ArtPrize for Kids: Language Connections Guide for 2012. Thanks again to our friends at grkids.com for the work done on creating the Tour!
Here are picks from Stop #14 of the 2012 Kids’ ArtPrize Tour . For each, we’ve added some language prompts for building those neural pathways for all ages. I’ve also put some notes for some questions in brackets [ ] after. Feel free to comment with your responses, a child’s response or additional questions – and ENJOY!
#14: Independent Bank
86 Monroe Center NW Suite 101 Grand Rapids MI 49503
Some overall questions for this stop:
- How are the exhibits at this stop alike?
- How are the exhibits at this stop different?
- How is this stop alike or different from the stops we’ve already visited?
- How many bears do you think there are?
- What types of bears can you find?
- What shape is a ball?
- Can you find a ballerina bear?
- Can you find the spider bear?
- How many red bears can you find?
- What words can you think of that rhyme with ball?
- What words can you think of that rhyme with bear?
- Have we seen any other pieces with bears? How about balls or spheres?
- Do you have any of the bears shown in this ball?
- Can you name any of the bears the artists included?
- If there are 300 bears, how many legs is that?
- If you were going to create a ball of something to remember one of your loved ones, what would it include?
- Do any of the bears remind you of any stories you know or places you’ve been?
Follow-up activities could include looking up information on bears or stuffed toys; researching the history of the teddy bear; writing a story of one or two of the bears; creating designs with spheres; creating a picture or sculpture to remember a loved one; describing this entry to someone who wasn’t there with you.
Next: Grand Rapids Art Museum, Stop #15 on the 2012 Kids’ ArtPrize Tour